Pain Management Medications
There are several pain management medications, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Your doctor will work with you to determine the best type of medication for your individual needs.
There are different causes of pain, including:
- Nociceptive pain: This type of pain is caused by damage or injury to tissues. It can be either acute (short-term) or chronic (long-term).
- Neuropathic pain: With neuropathic pain, the nerve fibers themselves are damaged, dysfunctional, or injured. This type of pain is often chronic.
- Inflammatory pain: Inflammatory pain is caused by inflammation (swelling) of the tissues. It can be either acute or chronic.
- Psychogenic pain: Psychogenic pain is caused by psychological factors, such as stress or anxiety.
Some pain needs surgery like:
- Arachnoiditis: Arachnoiditis is a condition that results from the inflammation of the arachnoid, one of the membranes that surround and protect the nerves of the spinal cord.
- Cervical disc herniation: A cervical disc herniation occurs when the gel-like center of a spinal disc rupture and puts pressure on the spinal cord or nearby nerves.
- Lumbar disc herniation: A lumbar disc herniation occurs when the gel-like center of a spinal disc rupture and puts pressure on the spinal cord or nearby nerves.
- Spinal stenosis: Spinal stenosis is a condition in which the spinal canal narrows, putting pressure on the spinal cord.
The biggest dilemma is that people get worried about the surgery cost and seek ways to aid in lowering the cost of surgery. Low surgery costs can be achieved by opting for a good health insurance policy.
There are many different pain medications, each with its own advantages and disadvantages. Your doctor will work with you to determine the best type of medication for your individual needs.
Some of the most common types of pain medications include:
Acetaminophen is a mild pain reliever and fever reducer. It is available over-the-counter (OTC) and in generic form. Generic acetaminophen is usually less expensive than the brand-name version.
Brand names: Tylenol, Feverall, Panadol, Mapap
Side effects: Acetaminophen is generally safe when taken as directed. However, it can cause serious side effects if you take too much or take it with other medications containing acetaminophen.
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are a group of drugs used to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. They are available over-the-counter (OTC) and by prescription.
Brand names: aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, celecoxib
Side effects: NSAIDs can cause serious side effects, including gastrointestinal bleeding, kidney problems, and an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
Opioids are a group of strong pain medications. They are available by prescription only.
Brand names: Oxycontin, Percocet, Vicodin
Side effects: Opioids can cause drowsiness, constipation, and nausea. They can also be addictive and may lead to overdose and death.
Corticosteroids are a group of drugs that are used to relieve inflammation. They are available by prescription only.
Brand names: prednisone, methylprednisolone, dexamethasone
Side effects: Corticosteroids can cause serious side effects, including osteoporosis, glaucoma, and cataracts. They can also weaken the immune system, making you more susceptible to infection.
There are many different types of pain, and each type has its causes, symptoms, and treatment options. If you are experiencing pain, it is important to see a doctor to determine the cause and find the best treatment.